Thursday, May 26, 2011

Pregnancy Etiquette

In conversations with a pregnant woman, there are some unspoken rules that apparently need to be spoken more often.  This is not attack on you strangers who want to comment on my pregnancy, it's really just saving you from being talked about at my apartment later in the day.

1.  Sentences like the following should be avoided... especially if you are a stranger:

*You must be due any day now!
*When I first looked at you I thought you were having twins.
*Wow, your stomach has really popped out!  You are HUGE!

2.  Do not ask what I am naming my child unless you are prepared to hear a name that you do not like.  I know it's awkward when I catch you off guard and you do not like the name I tell you.  It causes you to stumble for words and say things like "that's interesting" or "oh, ok" and maybe bring some red into your cheeks.  But really, you are more embarrassed than I am.  I obviously love the name.

3.   Do not act surprised when I answer your questions with "we" or "our baby" even though I do not have a wedding ring on.  I see you glance down at my left hand.  And then I see your judgement.  One day I hope you or a loved one are pregnant and your fingers swell first trimester and you cannot wear any jewelry or shoes your entire pregnancy.  Ok, that is harsh, I apologize.  But seriously pregnant hands get puffy, you should remember that before you glance at a pregnant woman's hands to check for a wedding ring.  I can't help that my fingers look like marshmallows and I can no longer fit my rings on.

Thanks and Gig 'Em.

1 comment: