Saturday, November 26, 2011

Valuable Lessons Learned During Thanksgiving Break:

*Expect minimal rest the night before leaving.  Otha and I were up at least every two hours the night before due to a series of leaks- rain leaking through our ceiling, milk on the bed, Asher’s urine, Asher’s poop, then topped it off with Asher’s spit up.   As much as I could laugh it off, my fatigue level did not find the night quite as funny.  Thus in the spirit of Thanksgiving: “I am thankful for coffee.”


"Mom, it's difficult being a baby.  Cut me some slack."


*When traveling to the beach, pack for EVERY weather situation possible.  The first day at the beach we were freezing due to the cold, aggressive wind.  Contrary, our next adventure at the beach provided excessive heat, making me wish I had remembered my swimsuit.  And let me tell you, I already have wardrobe anxiety.  To have made an extensive packing list for the family, checked everything off, then to find us to be unprepared upon arrival- borderline devastating. 


First day: cold and windblown.



Second beach trip: basking in warmth.


*Don’t expect your 4 month old to love his first experience at the beach.  I had day dreamed about Thanksgiving break when we would introduce Asher to the massive, overwhelming, and gorgeous environment of the ocean.  He would put his hands in the sand and smile, wade in the water with our help and laugh.  So much joy, so many beautiful pictures… expectations failed.  Biggest frown face ever.  Our little boy rejected the surprising and cold rush of water on his feet and the grainy texture of the sand.  Not to mention Asher sports very pale skin, causing the sun to take victory over his complexion.  Eventually I surrendered my dreams and put Asher on a blanket in the shade, far from the water, with his familiar rattle. 


"This is the worst."



"Dad, why is there sand on my feet? Seriously, look."


*Asher loves dogs.  We will not be getting one any time soon.  Trying to get Asher to sleep with dogs barking at a loud volume does not conclude in a successful nap.  Not to mention monitoring dog and baby interactions.  Making sure Asher doesn't pull the dog's hair...  Watching the dog to make sure it does not bite Asher...  Wiping dog slobber off Asher's hand before Asher puts said slobber hand in his mouth.  It's almost equivalent to a young toddler interacting with a baby.  Despite my love for dogs, they will not join the Graham family in the near future.


"Here Willy, eat my hand."


*When running a Turkey Trot, your pride will tell you to keep up with the children in the race.  Kick your pride in the face.  Otha, Ari, Kevin, Asher, and I all embarked on a four mile race the morning of Thanksgiving, which seemed like a good idea at the time.  In the midst of the excitement pushing Asher in the jogging stroller past other runners, I felt like I could fly.  When pushing a baby you get more cheers, high fives, and external motivation than running solo.  However half way through the race, my energy was fading… and continued fading well into the afternoon.  I was down and out with a headache, blurry vision, and nausea a good portion of the day post crossing the finish line.  The image of me trying to catch up with an elementary school girl during the race kept haunting me while I downed ginger ale.  


"Look guys, I earned a medal for only crying once during the race." 


*Take every opportunity to put your child in a jacket with ears on the hood.  No need to explain, you can see for yourself...




Overall, we had an incredible time in Corpus Christi with the Graham-Gossett family!  Nothing beats a holiday spent with family.  




1 comment:

  1. girl you are SPOT ON about the dog thing! Your sister and I are always talking about how dogs + babies = ridiculous.

    ps that pic of your little man in the ear hat is PRICELESS! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete