Friday, May 25, 2012

Our New Normal

Since we have moved, I feel that my life is completely different.  Yet Otha still goes to his same job, groceries still need to be purchased, and Asher still needs to be taken care of.  My environment has just changed.

We are currently sleeping in the garage apartment since we had a surprise delay of floor installation in the main house.  Thus our kitchen and living room are functional while the rest of the house waits to be completed.  When we found out very last minute that the floors would not be installed until June, I was pretty frustrated.  Of course people told me "there is probably a reason that the floors won't be in yet".  And of course I wanted to roll my eyes and say "Nope, not this time. No reason for this ridiculous, inconvenient circumstance".  Yet here I am so thankful that we are not yet fully living in the house.  Why?  Oh, because our A/C quit working the night we moved everything from our apartment to our house.  In fact, our whole A/C system apparently needs to be replaced.  So in the meantime we are sleeping in the garage apartment with a fully functional window unit.  So thankful!  *Not thankful that our A/C has completely died, but thankful that we did not move all our stuff and ourselves into a steaming hot house.

Our friends the Marions also moved in this week into one of our bedrooms.  They, on the other hand, are sweating it out in the house being absolute champs about it.  Luckily they are some of the most low maintenance roommates and have not slapped us in the face for inviting them to live with us in a sana.

We are hoping for a miracle and also trying to figure out where to go from here.  Apparently replacing an entire A/C unit is equivalent in cost to adopting a child domestically.  So expensive.  Today we will have a second opinion and we will continue expecting and knowing that God will provide for us in one way or another.  He always does and I am always delighted to see how He does it.  We are confident that He wanted us to buy this house, so we are confident that he is not blown away that our A/C is broken and wants us to learn more about him through this.

A few more initiations into home ownership include a water heater not working, Asher's poop that was flushed in the garage apartment showing up in the main house toilet, and installation fees for basically everything.  The adventure has begun.

I have also started cloth diapers this week.  I. Hate. Asher's. Poop.  On. Cloth.  HATE, I tell you.  Trying to scrape it off into the toilet without a sprayer or diaper liner resulted in poop on my hands, Asher biting my arm while I was kneeling, and me leaving the diaper insert in the toilet for hours.  Sick. Thankfully I have my diaper hero, Courtney Stasny, who provided a sprayer AND liners for us to use while I adjust to this new world.

On a positive note:  we have a washer and dryer.  After going to the laundry mat for two years dragging my pregnant belly and then out-of-the-womb child with me, I am SO, SO thankful for a washer and dryer.  I want to wash everything, all the time, because I can.  Wash, wash, wash.

So that's the Graham update.  New house, new expenses, new adventures.  Loving it.


1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry for the craziness with the house. I'm sure you know or have been told, but one of the expenses for closing on a house is home insurance for just this sort of thing. (It's not the same as the home burns down or is robbed insurance you pay every month.) If you don't know about this, give me a buzz.

    I just got cloth diapers in the mail this week! So far I've avoided using them unless I'm sure he won't poop. :) Please invite yourself over when you are itching for more air-conditioned space! We have plenty of room.

    ReplyDelete