Friday, February 28, 2014

Heeeelp

I am going to ask you to donate money.




Ok, so for those of you who have chosen to keep reading- Hello.

There are two events coming up that I am participating in, both of which I would like to raise money for.

Event #1:  5th Annual World Record Event for Mercy Project.  

Mercy Project was established by a couple at my church who have a passion for ending modern day slavery.  The focus of Mercy Project is to free children who have been trafficked into the fishing industry on Lake Volta in Ghana.  How, you ask?  Mercy Project partners with fishing villages by teaching them aquaculture, replacing the need for child labor.  This is not something that just works in theory.  This is really happening.  Mercy Project has successfully transitioned two villages from using child slaves to using fishing cages.  You can read more here:  mercyproject.net

Over the past few years, Mercy Project has done some fundraising by breaking Guinness World Records.  This year the goal is to run a 24 hour mile relay.  A what?  Individuals will run one mile, back to back, passing a baton off to the next runner each time... for 24 hours.  Both Otha and I will be running during this 24 hour extravaganza on April 4-5th and we are pumped!  I'm super excited to do something I love while raising money, awareness, and promoting real change for kids in Ghana.  Otha and I both are committed to raise money for this event.  If you feel inspired, you can donate  here and be sure to put either Otha or my name for the participant you are supporting.


Event #2:  March of Dimes

As many of you know, I work for an incredible fitness organization called Fit4Mom.  It's my favorite.  Some mamas from our Bryan/College Station Franchise will be participating in a March for Babies walk on April 27th.  March of Dimes supports research and programs that help moms have full-term pregnancies.  The funds are also used to support families who have a baby in the newborn intensive care unit.

In past years I thought, "I don't know if I have time for one more thing in our schedule.  I am not very connected to this thing."  But then we added Malia to our family.  She was born at 32 weeks gestation and was a tiny little thing struggling to survive.  I had multiple strangers ask me around town if I had a doll in my baby carrier.  1. I don't know why I would carry a doll in a Moby Wrap.  2. I will give them the benefit of the doubt because she was SO SMALL.  There have been multiple times in her life that I that wondered what her health would be like if she had been born full term.  I know what it's like to have a premature baby and I know what it's like to have that tiny baby in an ICU.  And both are less than ideal.  Please join me in decreasing the number of premature births and helping support those parents with little ones struggling in the NICU.  You can donate here.


Thank you for your support!!

In other news... the little humans I spend my time with get cuter every day.



Over and out.




1 comment:

  1. Becca! The kids are SO ADORABLE! Thanks for posting about this.

    ReplyDelete