Friday, June 17, 2011

The Provision Collision

Two weeks ago Otha and I were heading home from Com Group early due to my crazy pregnant body.  Cramps mixed with absolute exhaustion made a concoction resulting in tears.  So we were stopped at a red light, I was crying and trying to explain to Otha how miserable I was feeling (it really was pathetic), then BOOOOM!!!  the Echo - my beloved car - lurches forward into the intersection.  Luckily we were the first people in line at the red light and therefore did not rear end anyone.  Also, the only cars going through the intersection were the ones turning left, so we also were not hit by cross traffic.  But what do I do?  I FREAK OUT.  My emotions went from "I'm crying because I don't want to be pregnant anymore" to "I'm hyperventilating out of shock, weeping uncontrollably, and I can't believe we just got in a wreck when I am 9 months pregnant".

Otha was a stud and calmly got out of the car, agreed with the driver who hit us to pull over into the HEB parking lot, then safely got us out of the road.  My hero.  Meanwhile he is also trying to calm down his crazy hysterical wife.  "Becca, you HAVE to breath.  You NEED to calm down."  Seriously, double hero.  The driver of the other car, or I should say ginormous truck, felt awful for crushing the fragile little Echo.  But then I increased his guilt ten fold whenever I made eye contact with him through my waterfall of tears holding my huge pregnant belly.  It wasn't my intention.  I just couldn't stop the freak-out-faucet.
Overall, the driver was very easy to work with, had insurance, and apologized an infinite amount of times.  Definite blessing!


So I know it doens't look awful, but the collision totalled the car.  Goodbye Echo forever.

Although I am grieving the loss of my dear friend, the Silver Bullet, we quickly realize this could benefit us in the long run.  The Echo was already headed down hill so we knew eventually we would need to get a replacement car.  What better way than to have someone's insurance pay for that replacement?  We ended up getting a check that covered the entire cost of the car, which is way more than we could have sold it for.  Huuuuge blessing!!  God totally provided for us in an unexpected way!!!!!

So what now, you ask?  A navy blue 2003 Honda Odyssey.  That's right, I am 22 years old and just bought a mini-van.  It's too much for me to process.  Married, pregnant, bought 2 cars in the first year of marriage and one of those is a family van.  fa;lskdfja;lksdjfl;kajsd;flkj  <------ jumbled feelings.
We decided that it made more sense to invest in a larger vehicle for the sake of our growing family, carpooling, and overall more storage space.  However, we did not want to buy a huge vehicle that was a gas guzzler.  Otha had searched for hours and hours trying to find a car that fit all of our criteria (financially, mileage, space, etc) with minimal luck.  The day before we were planning on going to Austin for multiple reasons including looking at cars, I prayed that God would make it very clear to us what a wise purchase would be.  I immediately took a nap after praying about it, woke up, and Otha called me into the living room to look at this van he found online.  Due to my recent prayer, we both felt really good about it, called the owner, and set up a time to come see it.  Make a long story short- we picked up the van from Austin yesterday as the official owners of the vehicle!!  We only had to pay a third of the cost due to the insurance check, then my uncle blessed us with $1000 out of no where, and my parents were so gracious and had set up an account for me growing up that we were able to use funds from.  Therefore the van is fully paid off- no car payment!   Once again God blew us away with his provision!!!!!

Although you may have seen this before, my new friend Courtney sent it to me and I think it's very fitting to celebrate our new van:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-N3F1FhW4

And be watching for me cruising around town in the coolest mom car around.  Alright, so it's not that cool, but it's practical.  And it has a DVD player.  And automatic sliding doors.  Jealous yet?  That's alright, you will see when I pick you up and take you for a spin.

1 comment:

  1. I'm already excited about being picked up in the awesome minivan. Let me know if you need name suggestions. Also, I'm glad it has automatic doors, so you press a button and they open right? I've been told that when your children get old enough to walk it's helpful to have runners on it. Does it have that? if not....23rd birthday present...:) haha. Love you both!!

    ReplyDelete