Sunday, June 26, 2011

Perks of Pregnancy

Despite the fact that I just want to complain about how I am over-due and throw a fit, I decided this morning to dwell on the positive things about pregnancy that will no longer exist when we meet Asher.  I know that seems mature.  But don't be mistaken, I have a meltdown about every day due to my lack of patience.  So resist your temptation to be impressed.

*The rate that I go through roles of toilet paper is astounding.  Several per week.  It's just what happens when there is a human squishing your bladder 24/7, causing you to pee at least every hour.  But as much as we have had to buy more toilet paper, it still comes out to be much cheaper than what we will be spending on diapers.  So overall, it's a financial blessing in the toileting budget for the Grahams to be pregnant comparatively to our near future with an infant.  Hey, it's the little things.

*Carrying this baby around.  When pregnant, I NEVER have to worry about leaving the baby in the car, carrying both the baby and groceries, cleaning the apartment while still having the baby close to me.  My uterus is a natural sling that the baby never leaves.  I don't have to fight guilt of neglecting my baby if I need to take a shower or get something done around the apartment while the baby is crying to be held.  Even when we went swimming yesterday, I did not have to worry about the baby drowning because I was not holding it.  If I go under water, Asher goes under water.  No big deal.

*Adding some weight to my body has not been the most fun process, but I know that there is a limit.  I am full term and Asher is about 7 pounds.  The likelihood of Asher being over 10 pounds in the womb is minimal (yay for a small baby).  However, when Asher is born, Asher will continue to grow and grow and still want to be picked up and held.  It's a lot easier to say yes to holding a 7 pound baby in the womb than a 30 pound child who squirms in your arms.  Post birth child weight limit = 300+ pounds.  Yes please, give me the 7 pound baby inside my uterus.

*SLEEP.  I know this seems obvious, but I don't think I will fully grasp the glory of my current sleeping habits until Asher is born.  Right now I can go to sleep at 9pm and wake up at 10am (with frequent bathroom trips in between) with no consequences.  If I slept like this after Asher is born, someone should call CPS.  I can also take a nap whenever I want to.  After Asher is born, I am at the mercy of his sleep schedule.  Of course Otha will be there to help, but let's be candid- I have the nutrients to feed this kid 10 times a day, Otha does not.  AND Otha is incredible and still has a job to support our family while my new job is to take care of the baby.  So my people-pleasing complex will have difficulty handing off a crying baby to Otha in the middle of the night knowing he has to work in the morning.

*When I am pregnant and don't feel like working out, I don't have to.  People don't look a full term pregnant woman in the eye and judge them for being too tired to go walking that day.  They say "Make sure you get plenty of rest!".  But as a mom, if I don't work out I am letting the leftover baby weight win.  Not to mention I will need to work out for my own sanity to get outside and release some ever-welcomed endorphines to compensate for crazy-new-mom-hormones.  It's acceptable to have kankles as a pregnant woman... not so much when I have a 6 month old.

Other positives such as frequency of eating, wearing Otha's t-shirts, etc that are also great things about pregnancy, but I will spare you from more rambling.  Conclusion: Pregnancy definitely has perks that I will miss after Asher makes his big appearance.  I will continue to try and focus on these things as I avoid pulling my hair out watching the clock tick wishing for painful contractions.  Labor please come soon.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny how different we all are, but I can definitely relate to many of the pregnant perks. Also, enjoy everyone - even strangers - doing things for you and being so nice to you! Otha will keep it up, but everyone else will be too absorbed in your cute little guy once he comes. Oh, and be warned: your frequency of eating will likely increase, making milk takes a lot of calories!
    I planned to do cute things like embroider designs on onesies if I were overdue, but instead distractions (movies, recording songs, final dates with Joe, etc) were what helped my brain the most.
    I hope Asher decides to make his way out tonight! A final upside to all this waiting - remembering how bad you wanted to be in labor helps you deal with it once you ARE in labor! :)

    ReplyDelete