Thursday, June 5, 2014

Bryan/ College Station... How I love thee.

People don't come to Bryan/College Station for vacation or a night on the town, nor would I recommend anyone coming for those reasons.  But this place is one of my favorites.  It's a big enough city to have grocery stores, a mall [no comment on the quality of the mall], some great restaurants, etc. yet small enough to where people's social circles often overlap.  Best of all, this city has some great gems hidden amongst the rocks.  And by gems, I mean people.  There are people here who love unconditionally, live whole-heartedly, and pursue the Lord relentlessly.  And if you ask me, that is worth 100 times more than breath-taking landscape or a hip night life.


I am 25 years old.  The last 8 of those years have been lived in Bryan/College Station, Texas.

Let's do quick math, people.  That's a little over 1/3 of my entire life.

Yes, I realize I am still ridiculously young and have so many years left to live ...and will probably live in so many other places... probably for even longer than 8 years.  So yes, I realize that this entire post may seem dramatic.  What can I say?  Maybe I should have invested my time in theatre growing up instead of soccer.  [There are zero perks as an adult knowing how to kick a soccer ball correctly.  Unless you play professionally and get paid to do that kind of thing.  I checked our bank account last night and sadly there was no income listed as "professional soccer player".]

As I was saying...

B/CS hosted the seasons of my life as I transitioned from a baby 17 year old to adulthood.  To be honest, I can barely label myself as an adult without laughing.  But for the sake of our story, let's go ahead with the technical term "adulthood" because I am over the age of 18... or 21 ... or whatever age 'merica deems as an adult these days.

I moved to this town filled with dreams to live internationally, ambitions to save the world - one social justice issue at a time, and a disdain for traditional education.  Yep.  I was that girl who sat in college classes, rolling my eyes at "useless" information, walking barefoot around campus looking for the next fundraiser to benefit children in Africa.


Proof: "Displace Me" Event 2007
(yes- that's Juliette)


My sophomore year of college, I began attending Community Church.  This group of people so graciously embraced me, all of my unrealistic desires to bring peace and justice to the entire universe, and my naive views of life.  More specifically, older women welcomed me into their homes and showed me the ins and outs of daily life as an adult.  We talked while folding laundry, washing dishes, changing diapers... you know, the fun things in life.  I will treasure those times forever.  Truly, forever.  These women listened to my college drama and would gently guide me to solutions.  They were honest with me about their own struggles, whether it was in their marriage, as a parent, in friendships... their vulnerability eternally impacted me.  Because of their open homes, I felt so much more prepared to be a wife and a mother and overall, to be an adult.  Some people grow up and are surprised by all the mundane things about adulthood.  I am so thankful I was able to see these things in my early college years, throw a fit about them, and then embrace my future with some foresight about reality.  

These are the same people who walked with me through dating, engagement, and marriage to Otha.  Dating someone you don't know very well who is moving to Africa for the majority of your relationship? No problem, we will help you do this well.  

These are the same people who let me cry on their couch when I found out I was unexpectedly pregnant with Asher.  They cast no judgement when I was not completely excited about the new baby in my womb.  They also lovingly came along side me when I embraced pregnancy and helped me prepare for the new member of our family.  

These are the same people who walked through the entire foster care process with us.  Newly married couple with a baby wanting to do foster care?  Great, we will help you.  Took in a child with extreme medical needs?  Let us support you.  Let us take care of Asher while you are in Houston.  Let us come visit you all the time in the hospital, while you sit with this baby who is not even yours.  That doesn't matter to us.  Malia is part of our family too.  

The people who are part of this community are unlike any other collective group I have ever met.  The more you reveal your ugliness and brokenness, the closer they draw you in and the more love and grace they pour out on you.  I have never, ever seen this church give anyone the stiff arm.  Anyone is welcome- the sinner, the outcast, the lame, the poor, the rich, the needy, the criminal, the drug addict, the prostitute, the regular ol' boring individual, anyone.  They live life like Jesus, in the best way that they can.  What's even more beautiful is that they are marked with humility and consistently asking the Lord to show them how to live out the Gospel.  

Somewhere in the midst of doing life with these people, I changed.  I was no longer looking for the next big Africa fundraising event or throwing up in my mouth a little when I thought about my college education.  Somehow I began, so very slowly, prioritizing the people in my own home and community.  By nothing short of a miracle, I began fostering thankfulness in my heart for my education and the empowering opportunity of attending a university.  There are over 1,000 ways I have changed over the past 8 years, all of which I still have a long ways to go.  I am glad to say that I still deeply care for international affairs, for impoverished people, and for practical skills like trade school > college.  But these passions are also now paired with some wisdom, tangible vision, and some adult years under my belt.  I never want to stop dreaming and reaching for the impossible.  However, I want to accomplish these things with Otha by my side and my kids holding my hands learning from every step.  What a shame it would be if my 18 year old self lunged forward in life to pursue dreams and left her husband and kids on the curb.

These have been transformative years in Bryan/College Station:  I graduated with a degree in Sociology from Texas A&M, married the most incredible man, bought out first home, added two kids to our family, and experienced a richness in life that I did not know even existed.  

Thank you Bryan/College Station for some of the most difficult and best times of my life.  It's been fun.  I would say "let's do it again, sometime"... but I am pretty sure Otha is ready to wave goodbye to you for the last time.  [Remember that time Otha and I moved to Austin right after we got married... and then came right back here a month and a half later? Good times.]  You will forever be remembered as the city where I grew up. 


Added bonus: A picture from each year in B/CS



2006.  One of my first Aggie Football Games with my long lost twin, Lindsey.  True story- people confused us at her wedding.  At.  Her. Wedding.  We were both wearing jackets, so it was somewhat acceptable because the jacket was covering part of her wedding dress.



  
2007.  This is a picture taken right after myself and a group of friends from ASSIST got dots tattooed on our ankles.  I kid you not.  I now have a blue dot on the inside of my left ankle... just like Lisa Sandoval, Tara Clifton, and Jo Blythe.  Bringing you down with me, ladies.




2008.  Juliette, my social justice partner from previously in this blog post, drove us to hear Shane Claiborne speak.  He was unexpectedly a giant.  




2009.  Allie and I being roommates.  And best friends.  Did I mention Allie and I have lived in the same city as each other for 12 years?? And that ends Sunday.  It's the worst.




2010.  Otha and I got engaged... and married... and pregnant.  We are efficient people.




2011.  We met this little guy.




2012.  We had the Marions, Lisa, and Michelle living with us.  The Jumonvilles and Bechtolds were within walking distance.  It was the best.




2013.  Malia defeated the odds and turned 1 year old!!  







 2014.  Our kids grew.  And they were adorable. 

1 comment:

  1. Haha. I'm happy my foot made it to this post. I love your reflections and adventures. You are one of the MOST EFFICIENT people I know. Thank you for sharing beautiful thoughts and gratitude for your community.

    AND - those pictures of your kids are fantastic. Can we submit them to a picture frame company? I think they could be those standard picture frame photos; just being happy, beautiful people.

    ReplyDelete