Sunday, August 16, 2015

My Little Man

Considering my last post was 6 months ago, I could write about so many things.  Otha and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary, Malia started walking (thank you, sweet Jesus), and we filled our summer with memorable trips.  However, I just want to write about Asher.  

Oh, Asher.  How you drive me crazy, yet my heart explodes with love for you. Parenting is a strange phenomenon, is it not?  

Last month, Asher turned four years old.  This birthday seemed different from previous years.  Not only did he officially graduate from toddlerhood, but he helped plan his 4th birthday party (unlike last year where he did not know birthday parties were a thing... parenting success).  We threw a Halloween/costume party, causing most children to sweat profusely under extra layers in July.  I am happy to say that no one died of heat stroke.  





I am so happy Otha is a genius and came up with the Halloween/costume theme.  It captured so much of how Asher loves to spend his time:  dressing up and telling spooky stories... and acting like he has eating buckets of Halloween candy, but really it's just his temperament.  







Every single day he dresses up in a costume.  And every single day I have to figure out how to parent his wild, passionate, persistent spirit.  A few weeks ago, he wanted to dress up like an astronaut.  Let me explain to you what his astronaut costume consists of:  putting on every single costume item he owns, layer upon layer, with a plastic drum over his head as a helmet.  Considering it was over 100 degrees outside, I had to turn down his astronaut dream that day.  He cried.  I tried to explain that it's too hot outside.  He threw a fit.  I tried reasoning again, offering him other costume alternatives.  His fit grew colossal.  I then told him he would die.  He could die in the heat with 10 layers on outside... in August... in Texas. "Asher, it's not safe."  "BUT I WANT TO BE AN ASTRONAUT!"  "Asher, you will die."  "I DON'T CARE!!!!" "Asher, you could LITERALLY DIE!!" Tears upon tears.  Twenty minutes later he settled on being a pirate.  This type of thing every day.  All day.  

His imagination is beautiful and more than I could have asked for.  I can hand him a pile of mush and he can turn it into something magical in his mind.  We have minimal outside toys and somehow he finds adventure in our backyard using his costumes, rocks, dirt, and sticks.  He also enjoys cutting roly polys in half with his saw.  Poor little things.  

Something I try to savor, but takes so much effort, is his need for us to join him in his imaginary world.  Well, for us to join him in anything he does.  If he goes to the bathroom, he wants someone to go with him.  The horror it would be if he had to grab something from his bedroom without a chaperone.  If I walk out of a room he is playing in he asks "WHERE ARE YOU GOING??" soon followed by "ARE YOU COMING BACK TO THIS ROOM?".  If I am not coming back to that room immediately, I then have a little Asher shadow following me wherever I am going.  It's not uncommon for me to lock him out of the bathroom so I can pee in peace for 30 seconds.  And you better believe that entire 30 seconds Asher is pounding on the door saying, "Mommy!  It's me!! Let me in!!"  His level of extroversion is impressive.  I am an extrovert, yet Asher has taken it to a whole new level.  When he does something, it's 100%.  I am sure this will come in handy some day.  But as a four year old, it makes me want to beat my head against the wall sometimes.  



In one week, this crazy, fun boy is going to start Pre-K.  He thinks it's the coolest thing ever to go to school "just like Daddy".  When I ask him what he is most excited about, he talks about playing on the playground and in the classroom with the other kids.  He is pumped.  Meanwhile, I am crying.  I think he will thrive in a classroom setting and enjoy the experience.  But he is my first baby.  I am already freaking out about him fitting in, listening to the teacher, sitting by himself at lunch, peeing his pants from getting so distracted, etc.  I want to protect him from everything.  This will be more of a growing process for me than it will be for him.  And as much as he drives me nuts, he is my buddy and makes me laugh and smile every single day.  Now I am just rambling.  Point being- I am learning to let him grow up... and it's challenging.  He, on the other-hand, already talks with excitement about turning 18 so he can move away and get a dog.

This boy has captured my heart and stretched me in countless ways.  Poor guy is our guinea pig for Otha and I's parenting methods and yet he so easily forgives us.  I can lose my patience with him, make terrible parenting choices, and one minute later he asks if I want to play legos with him.  I am ever so thankful for his grace.  And I will need it every single day as I learn how to guide him in to adulthood.  

Asher Isaiah Graham, we are so thankful the Lord surprised us with you!  May we continue learning how to love you well the rest of your days.  





  

No comments:

Post a Comment